- Firm root veg and some brassicas
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A little olive oil
- Herbs and spices for seasoning
Over to you…
Tell us about your veg rice combinations on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram with #schoolofveg or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s delicious. It’s also a brilliant way to cut back on carbs and get even more veg into your diet.
Firm root veg and some brassicas work best. We love ricing carrots, beetroot, sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, celeriac, turnips, broccoli and cauliflower.
Peel root veg first. Roughly chop. Put the veg in a food processor (no processor? No problem. Grate the veg and finely chop). Blend till very finely chopped – it’ll look like rice or couscous. For cauliflower or broccoli, roughly chop (you can use the stems, too) and blitz in a food processor as above.
Go raw and season it up with salt, pepper and bit of spice if you like. Or fry the rice in an oiled pan with seasoning and herbs till steamy and tender. It only takes a few mins (the larger the pan, the faster it’ll cook). Add a splash of water, if needed, to help it soften. To serve, use as a bed for curries, stir fries, tagines and more, or dish it up (hot or cold) as a salad or a luscious side.
5. Flavour matches
• Broccoli fried up with coriander and cumin seeds.
• Beetroot with a hint of chilli.
• Carrot with lemon zest and fresh thyme.
• Sweet potato with a pinch of smoked paprika.
• Cauliflower with orange zest and black pepper.