- 1 sweet potato
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A thumb of ginger
- 150g halloumi
- 1 red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of coriander
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1 blood orange
- 400g tin butter beans
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- A few handfuls of rocket
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub and slice the sweet potato into 2cm-thick slices. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and seasoning. Lay in a single layer on a baking tray. Slide into the oven to roast for 30 mins, flipping over halfway through.
2. While the sweet potato roasts, peel and finely grate the ginger into a medium bowl. Mix with 1 tbsp oil and plenty of black pepper. Slice the halloumi into 6 slices, then halve them to make squares. Place in the bowl with the gingery oil and turn a few times to coat well. Set aside to marinate.
3. Next, make the guacamole. Peel and finely chop the red onion. Place in a bowl. Zest and juice the lime and add to the bowl with a pinch of salt. Peel and grate in the garlic clove. Finely chop the tomato and the coriander stalks and add them to the bowl. Set the coriander leaves to one side.
4. Halve the avocado, scoop out the flesh and discard the stone. Roughly chop the avocado flesh and add it to the bowl with the rest of the guacamole ingredients. Grind in a little black pepper and mix well. Set aside.
5. Now make the salad. Slice the ends from the orange and stand it on the board on a cut side. Slice away the skin, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Roughly chop the orange and place in a medium serving bowl. Drain and rinse the butter beans. Shake dry and add to the bowl.
6. Set a frying pan on a medium heat. Add 2 tsp fennel seeds and toast for 2-3 mins. Tip into the bowl with the oranges and beans. Toss together with ½ tbsp olive oil. Season. Top with the rocket.
7. Place the pan back on the heat. Add the halloumi slices, shaking off any excess marinade. Fry for 2-3 mins on each side till golden. Lift out of the pan and pop on a plate or board. The sweet potatoes should be ready by now, so you can get stacking.
8. Place a slice of roast sweet potato on a plate. Top with a slice of halloumi. Spoon over a little of the reserved gingery oil. Top with more sweet potato and halloumi to make a little stack. Repeat till you have used all the halloumi and sweet potato. Add any leftover sweet potato to the salad bowl.
9. Toss the salad to mix. Serve the stacks with the salad and a good dollop of guacamole. Garnish with the coriander leaves.