- 3-4 rashers of smoked back bacon, snipped into pieces (optional)
- 1 onion or 2 leeks, cleaned, peeled and diced
- 4 large handfuls of root veg, peeled and diced
- 1 litre of stock – any kind
- 2 sprigs of thyme or rosemary, leaves chopped
- A splash of cider vinegar
- A handful of chopped parsley, to finish
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Set a large pan over a medium-high heat and add the bacon with a splash of oil. Sizzle for a few mins.
2. Once the bacon starts to pick up colour, add the onion/leek, your choice of root veg and a generous twist of pepper. Cook till the veg is nicely coloured and soft enough to eat, stirring often.
3. Add the stock. Let it bubble up. Add the herbs. Let it simmer for a mo. Taste and add a drop of vinegar to give it punch, or a pinch of salt and pepper. Swirl in some chopped parsley, if you fancy.
4. Ladle into warm bowls. Delicious served with bread and butter.
5. Use Your Roots
You cna make this soup with most root veg. Parsnips, swede, carrots, turnip, celeriac and spuds are all great, but avoid beetroot.