- 2kg mussels
- 3 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- A bunch of spring onions
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- A handful of coriander
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 carrot
- 200g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 400ml coconut milk
- ½ chicken stock cube
- Cooked rice, to serve (optional)
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Start by cleaning the mussels: place the mussels in a bowl of water. Have a colander sitting next to it. Tug the hairy-looking beards off the mussels and discard them (don't worry – the mussel won't snap you!). Discard any cracked shells. Tap any shells that are open and discard the ones that do not close fully – discard them even if they stay open a bit. Place the cleaned mussels in the colander as you go along. Give the sorted shells a good rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. Peel the garlic cloves and the ginger, and pop both in a food processor. Trim the roots and any ragged greens off the spring onions then roughly chop them. Add the spring onions to the food processor. Pick most of the mint and basil leaves off their stalks and add to the processor, along with most of the coriander leaves and stalks (save a little of each herb for garnishing). Grate in the zest from both limes, and squeeze in the juice from 1. Add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp Worcester sauce and season with a little salt and pepper. Whizz till combined to make a paste. No food processor? Finely grate the garlic and ginger, and finely chop the spring onions and herbs. Stir together in a bowl with the lime zest and juice, sugar, Worcester sauce and salt and pepper.
3. Peel the carrot and slice it thinly on an angle. Trim the dry ends from the Tenderstem® broccoli. Fill and boil your kettle.
4. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large pan and warm over a medium heat. Scoop the paste into the pan and fry it in the oil for 2 mins, stirring frequently. Pour in the coconut milk along with 500ml boiling water. Crumble in half a chicken stock cube. Stir to combine. Return the pan to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins without a lid.
5. After 10 mins, turn the heat up under the pan to bring the sauce to the boil. Add the Tenderstem® broccoli, carrot and mussels to the pan. Clamp a lid onto the pan and cook for 4-5 mins, till the mussels have all opened. Divide the mussels, veg and coconut broth between warm bowls and serve topped with the remaining herbs and wedges of lime on the side for squeezing. For a heartier meal, serve the mussels with rice or crusty bread on the side.