- 400g potatoes
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 50g rocket
- 1 garlic clove
- 150g halloumi
- 1 egg
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50g breadcrumbs
- A handful of mint
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1cm cubes. Chop the courgettes into 2cm cubes. Halve the pepper. Scoop out the seeds and pith. Chop it into large chunks. Peel the onion. Cut it into thick wedges.
2. Tumble the veg into a large roasting tin. Zest the lemon and set it aside. Cut half the lemon into 1cm thick slices and add them to the tray. Scatter over 2 tsp dried oregano. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil and season. Slide into the oven and roast for 40 mins till the potatoes are soft and crispy.
3. While the veg are cooking, dice the tomatoes and place in a bowl with the rocket. Set aside.
4. Peel and grate the garlic clove into a bowl. Whisk it with the juice of the remaining half-lemon and the zest you reserved earlier. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk with ½ tbsp oil. Set aside.
5. Slice the halloumi lengthways into four thick slices. Crack the egg into a shallow bowl. Add half the thyme leaves with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Beat well. Tip 2 tbsp flour and the breadcrumbs into separate bowls.
6. Place a halloumi slice in the flour and turn it over a few times to coat it well. Place it in the egg and turn it to coat evenly. Finally, roll the halloumi in the breadcrumbs, making sure all sides and ends are coated. Place onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining three slices.
7. When the veg has cooked for 35 mins, set a frying pan on a medium heat. When hot, drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Carefully place the breaded halloumi into the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side. Cook on the sides and ends for 30 seconds.
8. While the halloumi is cooking, pour the garlicky lemon oil over the roast veg and pop back in the oven till the halloumi is ready. Finely chop the mint leaves.
9. Divide the rocket and tomatoes between two plates. Fold the mint through the veg and spoon on the roasted veg. Top with a couple of halloumi slices. Drizzle over 2 tbsp honey and scatter with the remaining thyme to serve.