- 2 baking potatoes
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp full cream milk
- 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 100g mature cheddar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 50g peppery salad mix
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40-45 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and pierce them all over with a skewer or fork. Pop them on a plate and cook them in your microwave on high for 8-12 mins till tender to the touch. Transfer to a baking tray.
2. Drizzle each potato with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30 mins till cooked through (or bake for 1 hr 30 mins if you don’t have a microwave). Test them with a skewer to check they’re soft all the way through.
3. Cut each tomato into 6 wedges and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Slide into the oven and roast on a shelf below the jacket potatoes for 20-25 mins till tender and lightly caramelised. When they are cooked, set to one side.
4. While the potatoes and tomatoes are cooking, put the baby leaf spinach in a dry pan with 1 tbsp water. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 mins till the spinach has just wilted. Drain in a colander. Press the spinach with a wooden spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Finely chop it.
5. Separate the egg yolk from its white and pop it into a small pan. Whisk in the milk, Worcester sauce, mustard and a pinch of black pepper. Grate the cheese and add to the pan. Add the chopped spinach. Set the pan on a low heat and heat gently, stirring, for 2-3 mins till the cheese has melted into a smooth sauce.
6. When the potatoes are cooked, halve and scoop out their flesh. Pop into a bowl and mash. Heat your grill to medium. Line a grill pan with foil.
7. Add half the sauce to the mashed potatp. Mix well. Spoon the cheesey mash back into the potato skins. Top with the remaining sauce. Grill for 5 mins till golden brown and bubbling.
8. Meanwhile, whisk Whisk 1 tbsp of the vinegar with 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss the salad leaves with the dressing. Serve the rarebit jackets with the salad and roasted tomatoes.