- 75g bulgar wheat
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 leek
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pointed red peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- A few pinches of dried oregano
- 1 lemon
- 100g feta
- 1 beetroot
- 1 cucumber
- 80g black olives
- 1 red onion
- 1 orange or blood orange
- 50g watercress
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 190ºC/Fan 170ºC/Gas 5. Tip the bulgar wheat into a heatproof bowl. Pour in 200ml boiling water. Cover with a plate or cling film. Set aside to absorb the water.
2. Trim the top and bottom off the leek. Halve it and rinse out any grit. Thinly slice it. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add the leek. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and fry for 7-8 mins over a low heat
till soft. Take off the heat.
3. While the leek cooks, halve the peppers lengthways. Scoop out any seeds and white bits. Place on a baking tray. Slide into the oven and roast for 5 mins to soften them up.
4. Finely chop the tomatoes. Stir them into the leek with a good pinch of the dried oregano. Stir in the bulgar wheat. Grate in the lemon zest. Taste and add a little salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
5. Pile the bulgar mixture into the pepper halves. Crumble half the pack of feta over the top. Drizzle each with 1 tsp oil. Bake for 10-15 mins or till the feta is golden. If you have extra stuffing that won’t fit, keep it to serve with the peppers once they’re baked.
6. While the peppers are in the oven, peel the beetroot (use gloves as it can stain). Dice it and tip into a bowl. Roughly chop the cucumber and add to the bowl with the olives. Peel and finely slice the red onion and add to the bowl. Slice the skin and white pith off the orange. Slice the segments out and add to the bowl.
7. Mix the beetroot, cucumber, onion and orange together. Squeeze in a little lemon juice and season. Serve the peppers with the chopped salad and some watercress on the side, as well as any spare stuffing.