- 2.4kg leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- A good pinch of chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground or freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5-6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-3 onions, peeled and cut into hunks
- 6 tomatoes, cut in hunks, 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes and/or 1 aubergine, cut into hunks
- 1-2 glasses of dry white wine (optional)
- A large handful of fresh rosemary or mint, chopped
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 1½ hrs
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/Fan 200ºC/Gas 7. Rub the lamb all over with olive oil. Pop in a large roasting tin. Mix all the spices together with a pinch of salt and pepper, then dust over the lamb and rub in. Slide into the oven and roast for 30 mins.
2. Take the lamb out of the oven. Scatter the garlic and veg around it. Turn in the fat and juices. Add an extra gloss of olive oil, if needed.
3. Return to the oven and roast for 1 hr, checking often. Turn if needed and spoon veggies through to ensure they cook evenly. If the veg is looking dry, add a glass or two of wine.
4. When the lamb is cooked, remove from the oven. Pop the lamb on a platter, loosely cover with foil and let it rest for 30 mins or longer. Check the veg and roast for a little longer if they need to.
5. Serve the lamb with the roast veg and green salad, garnished with chopped fresh rosemary or mint.