- 500g potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp capers
- 50g rocket
- 1 lemon
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 haddock fillets
- 2 vine tomatoes
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 45 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and slice them into finger-sized chips. Add the chips to a large roasting tin with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then slide the chips into the oven for 30 mins.
2. While the chips bake, peel and halve the red onion. Thinly slice half the onion and set it to one side. Finely chop the other half and slide it into a bowl. Peel and grate in the garlic. Rinse and roughly chop 1 tbsp capers. Finely chop a few pinches of rocket. Add the capers and chopped rocket to the onion and garlic. Add 100ml crème fraîche. Squeeze in a little lemon juice, add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and set aside.
3. Tip 2 tbsp flour onto a plate and season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow dish. Tip the breadcrumbs onto a separate plate. Dip the haddock fillets in the flour, then the egg, then in the breadcrumbs to coat them. Transfer the crumbed haddock to a clean plate and set aside.
4. When the chips have cooked for 30 mins, turn them over and bake for another 10-15 mins, till tender and crispy. If the chips are ready before the haddock, turn the oven off and move the tray to the bottom of the oven to keep warm.
5. Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes into thin wedges. Slide the tomatoes into a salad bowl and add the reserved sliced onion. Squeeze in a little lemon juice and add a drizzle of olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and fold together.
6. When the chips are nearly ready, pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm to a medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the breadcrumbed haddock fillets. Fry for 4-5 mins on each side, till crisp and cooked through.
7. Toss the rocket with the tomatoes and onion. Divide the fish and chips between a couple of plates and serve them with the salad and the lemon and caper crème fraîche on the side.