- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 chillies
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 2 limes
- 4 corn on the cobs
- A handful of coriander, leaves only
- 4 tbsp soured cream
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves. Trim the tops off the chillies and roughly chop them. Quarter the cherry tomatoes.
2. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a small pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the onions, garlic and chillies. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the onion garlic and chilli for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally, till starting to soften. Add 1 tsp smoked paprika to the pan and stir well. Cook for a further 2 mins.
3. Slide the cherry tomatoes into the pan and pour in 1 tbsp red wine vinegar. Add 1 tbsp sugar and stir to combine. Cook for a further 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, squeeze in the juice from one of the limes. Use a hand blender to whizz into a smooth, thick sauce. This is your hot sauce.
4. Trim the ends off the sweetcorn cobs and strip away the husks. Stand a cob on its end and, using a sharp knife, carefully slice it in half vertically, keeping your fingers away from the blade at all times. Slice each cob into 'ribs' 2-3 kernels wide, then repeat with the remaining cobs.
5. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large frying pan and warm over a medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sweetcorn ribs with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the sweetcorn ribs for 3-4 mins on each side, till deep golden and charred in places.
6. Divide the sweetcorn ribs between plates. Serve with a scattering of coriander leaves, dollops of hot sauce and soured cream, and wedges of the remaining lime on the side for squeezing.