- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g unsmoked lardons
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 800g tinned haricot beans
- 330ml cherry tomato passata
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100g feta
- 50g rocket
1. Peel the red onions and finely chop them. Peel the garlic cloves and crush or finely chop them.
2. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large pan and warm over a medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the lardons. Fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till golden and starting to crisp up.
3. Slide the chopped onions and garlic into the pan with the lardons. Spoon in 1 tbsp smoked paprika and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to cook for a further 10 mins, stiring often, till the onions are softened and sweet.
4. Open one tin of haricot beans and tip both the beans and juice into the pan. Drain the other tin through a sieve and add the beans to the pan. Pour in the cherry tomato passata and give everything a good stir. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, pop on a lid and cook for 30 mins.
5. When the beans are almost cooked, pour 1 tbsp oil into a frying pan and warm to a medium-high heat for 2 mins. Crack in the eggs and fry for 4-5 mins, till the whites are set and crispy at the edges.
6. Stir 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar into the beans and have a taste of the sauce. Add a little more salt and pepper or vinegar if you think it needs it.
7. Ladle the beans into shallow bowls and lay the fried eggs on top. Crumble on chunks of feta. Scatter over the rocket leaves and serve.