- 1 large potato
- 1 beetroot
- 1 leek
- 3 carrots
- 1 courgette
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 200g crème fraîche
- 1 garlic clove
- Freshly ground pepper
- Sea salt
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 100g cheddar
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 50g peppery salad mix
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel the potato, beetroot and carrots. Trim the courgette. Coarsely grate all of the veg into a large bowl (or see our tip at the end – and remember beetroot can stain, so if grating by hand, gloves will keep your pinkies from getting even pinker). Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Trim and rinse the leek, then thinly slice it. Add to the bowl with the veg.
2. Zest and juice the lemon. Add the zest and half the juice to the crème fraîche tub. Peel and crush the garlic into the tub. Add the thyme leaves and plenty of salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir through the prepped veg.
3. Grate the cheddar. Add two-thirds of it to the bowl. Tip all the creamy veg into a medium-sized ovenproof dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 mins till the veg start to soften. Remove the foil and cook for a further 20 mins till browned.
4. After the gratin has cooked for 40 mins, scatter the remaining cheese over the top, then slide back into the oven for a further 10 mins, till golden and melted.
5. Add the remaining lemon juice to a small bowl. Whisk in ½ tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss through the salad leaves. Serve the dressed salad alongside the cheesy veg gratin.
6. TIP: If you have a grating attachment on your food processor, you can whizz the veg through that.