- 500g sweet potatoes
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- A handful of coriander
- A handful of oregano, leaves only
- 1 shallot
- 1 chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime
- 2 butcher's centre cut steaks
- 1 red onion
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the sweet potatoes and slice into chips the thickness of your little finger. Add the chips to a roasting tin and pour over 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast the chips in the oven for 25 mins, turning halfway, till golden and tender.
2. While the chips cook, set a large frying pan on a medium-high heat. Scatter the pumpkin seeds into the pan and dry fry for 3-4 mins, tossing frequently, till nutty and toasted. Slide into a bowl and set to one side.
3. Make your chimichurri sauce. Separate the coriander leaves and stalks (save the leaves for later in the recipe). Finely chop the stalks. Finely chop the oregano leaves. Peel the shallot and garlic and finely chop them. Halve the chilli, flicking out the seeds and membrane for less heat, and finely chop the chilli.
4. Slide all the chopped ingredients into a small bowl. Zest in the lime and squeeze in the juice from one half. Stir in 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Pop the empty frying pan used for the seeds back onto a high heat and warm for 2 mins. Rub the steaks with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and ½ tbsp olive oil each. When the pan is smoking hot, add the steaks. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side to leave the middles a little pink, or cook for 1-2 mins longer for more well-done steaks. Pop the steaks on a warm plate, loosely cover with and rest for 5 mins.
6. While the steaks rest, peel the red onion and thinly slice it. Quarter the cherry tomatoes. Slide both into a bowl. Scatter over the pumpkin seeds, coriander leaves and a little salt and pepper. Squeeze in the remaining lime juice. Stir with 1 tbsp oil till everything is coated.
7. Slice the steak and arrange onto plates. Pour over any resting juices. Spoon over the chimichurri sauce. Serve with the tomato salad and sweet potato chips on the side.