- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 285g tinned sweetcorn
- 2 tomatoes
- 800ml hot water
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Prep: 10 mins | Cook 25 mins
1. Slice the chicken mini fillets into bite-sized chunks. Warm a pan over a medium heat for 1 min. Add 1 tbsp oil and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins till golden.
2. While the chicken fries, peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Halve the chilli. Flick out the seeds and white bits for a milder flavour. Finely chop the chilli.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add the onion to the pan. Season with a little more salt and pepper. Fry over a medium heat for 5 mins till it’s soft and glossy. Stir every now and then to stop the onion sticking.
4. Peel the sweet potatoes. Chop them into bite-size chunks. Drain and rinse the sweetcorn. Finely chop the tomatoes. Grate or pare the zest from the lime. Juice it.
5. Add the garlic, chilli and 1 tsp each of the ground cumin and smoked paprika to the onion. Cook and stir for 1 min.
6. Tip in the sweet potatoes and stir to coat in the spicy oil. Add the sweetcorn, tomatoes and 800ml boiling water. Return the chicken to the pan and stir.
7. Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 mins till the sweet potato is tender.
8. Add the lime juice to the soup. Taste. Add salt and pepper if you think it needs it. Ladle into deep bowls and served topped with the lime zest.