- 150g white basmati rice
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ habanero chilli
- A handful of coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime
- 150g yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25-30 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl and pour in enough cold water to cover it. Set aside to soak.
2. Set a medium pan over a medium-high heat for 1 min. Add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken. Fry for 8 mins, turning every so often, till the chicken is browned all over.
3. While the chicken fries, peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the pepper, scoop out the seeds and white pith, and finely chop it. Dice the tomatoes to match the other veg.
4. Lift the chicken out of the pan and set aside on a plate. Add the chopped veg to the pan with ½ tbsp more oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 mins, stirring every so often, till the veg have started to soften and brown.
5. While the veg fry, peel and crush or grate the garlic cloves. Halve the chilli, setting 1 half aside for another meal. Scoop out the seeds and white pith from the remaining half and finely chop it. Finely chop the coriander stalks (keep the leaves aside for later).
6. Stir the garlic, chilli and coriander stalks into the veg. Add 1 tsp each dried oregano, smoked paprika and ground cumin. Roughly chop the chicken and add that to the pan, too.
7. Drain the rice and stir it into the pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Pop a lid on the pan, bring back to the boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 10 mins till all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
8. Fluff the rice with a fork and divide the rice, chicken and veg between 2 warm bowls. Squeeze over the juice from the lime and top with a few spoonfuls of yogurt. Serve garnished with the reserved coriander leaves.