- 1 aubergine
- 1 mango
- 2 nests of noodles
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 lime
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of coriander
- 1 chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Zest and juice the mandarin into a bowl. Add 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar and 1 tsp sugar. Whisk well. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Add to the bowl. Halve the chilli. Finely chop half and add that to the onion. Add a pinch of salt. Stir to mix, then set aside to marinate.
2. Peel and finely slice the garlic. Slice the remaining chilli half into thin strips. Set aside. Chop the aubergine into 2 cm cubes.
3. Peel the skin from the mango. Cut away the fat cheeks from the mango stone and thinly slice them. Cut away the remaining flesh and thinly slice that.
4. Heat a deep frying pan or wok for 2 mins. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, the garlic and sliced chilli. Stir fry for 2 mins till golden and crispy. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and pop into a small bowl. Bring a pan of water to the boil.
5. Keep the wok on the heat. Add the aubergine chunks. Stir fry for 4-5 mins till soft and golden on most sides.
6. While the aubergine is cooking, drop 2 noodle nests into the pan of boiling water and cook for 4 mins. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop them cooking. Leave to drain in the colander.
7. Add the onions along with their marinade to the frying pan or wok. Add the cooked noodles and most of the mango slices. Toss together. Season with a little salt and pepper. Take off the heat.
8. Add half of the herb leaves. Toss together. Divide between 2 warm plates. Top with the remaining herbs, mango slices and the crispy chilli and garlic. Serve straight away.