- 200g beetroot
- 150g halloumi
- 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 eggs
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 salad onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 short cucumber
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tsp sumach
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Peel and coarsely grate the beetroot into a large bowl. Coarsley grate in the halloumi. Zest in the lemon. Peel and grate in the garlic clove. Tip in 2 tsp cumin seeds. Add a small pinch of salt and plenty of black pepper Crack in the eggs and mix everything together. Set to one side. Heat your oven to a low setting.
2. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a large bowl. Trim and thinly slice the spring onions. Cut the tomato into small dice. Halve the cucumber lengthways. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Roughly chop it.
3. Pick the mint leaves from the stalks. Finely shred them. Finely chop the parsley stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Place in the bowl with the chickpeas and veg, but don't mix together.
4. Juice the lemon into a mug or jug. Pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add 2 tsp sumach and a good pinch of salt. This is the dressing for your salad.
5. Place a frying pan on a medium-high heat for a few mins. When warm, drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Drop in spoonfuls of the beetoot and halloumi fritter mix – you should make about 10 fritters, so you may need to do this in batches. Fry them for 3 mins, flip over and cook for a further 3 mins.
6. Pop the cooked fritters on a baking tray and keep them warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
7. Pour the lemony dressing over the chickpea and herb salad. Toss together to mix. Serve alongside the warm, crispy fritters.