- 500g broad beans in the pod
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 short cucumber
- 1 lemon
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 tbsp cold water
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 50g rocket
1. Fill a pan with boiling water and pop on the hob to return to the boil. Split the broad bean pods open and pop the beans out. When the water is boiling, add the broad beans and simmer for 2 mins, without the lid on, to just blanch the beans. Drain them and rinse under cold water to cool them. The loose skins are still tender at this time of year, but if you'd preper to double pod the green beans pinch the loose skin and squeeze – the green beans will jump out. Pop them in a bowl.
2. While the beans simmer, peel the red onion and finely chop it. Peel the garlic clove and crush or finely grate it.
3. Pour 1 tsp oil into a frying pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide the chopped onion and garlic into the pan and sprinkle in 1 tsp smoked paprika and a little salt and pepper. Fry for 6-8 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened. Add 1-2 tbsp cold water to the pan if the onions start catching.
4. While the onion fries, trim the ends off the cucumber and peel it (the skin can be bitter on short cucumbers, so it's better to peel them). Chop the cucumber into small dice. Add to the bowl of broad beans. Finely grate in the zest from the lemon. Pick the mint leaves and finely shred them. Add them to the bowl. Preheat your grill to high.
5. Drain the chickpeas and add them to the pan with the onion. Warm through for 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally.
6. While the chickpeas warm, lay the trout fillets skin-side up on a baking tray. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Slide the trout under the grill for 3-4 mins, till it's cooked through with a crispy skin.
7. Stir the warm chickpeas and onion into the bowl of broad beans. Squeeze over a little lemon juice and drizzle with 1 tsp oil. Taste the chickpeas and add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if you think it needs them.
8. Pile the chickpeas and beans onto 2 warm plates and top with the grilled trout. Scatter with rocket and serve.