- A bunch of golden beetroot
- 300g bunched purple carrots
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 red onion
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 avocadoes
- 50g watercress
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 500ml boiling water
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 190°C/Gas 6. Cut the leaves and stalks from the beetroot and carrots. Set them to one side. Scrub the veg. Cut the beetroot into 1cm thick slices. Then cut them into 1cm wide lengths. Cut the carrots in half lengthways.
2. Lightly crush the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar. Place the veg on a baking tray. Drizzle over 1 tbsp olive oil. Scatter over the coriander seeds with some salt and pepper. Toss everything together. Drop on the garlic cloves, unpeeled. Roast for 40 mins, till the veg is tender and a little charred.
3. Tip the pearl barley into a pan. Cover with 500ml boiling water. Pop on a lid. Simmer for 20 mins till the barley is just tender. Drain and leave to cool.
4. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Zest and juice the orange and lemon into a medium bowl. Add 2 tbsp honey and some seasoning. Whisk together. Add the onion to the bowl and toss to coat. Leave to pickle.
5. When the veg has cooked for 30 mins, set a griddle or frying pan on a high heat. Toss the chicken fillets with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Place them in the pan and cook for 4 mins on each side till cooked through. Scatter over the cumin seeds and cook for a further 1 min. Place them on a plate.
6. Halve the avocados and scoop out the flesh. Thinly slice it. Wash the beet and carrot leaves well. Finely shred a small handful of each. Spoon the onions into the pan with the barley, leaving most of the citrus liquid in the bowl. Stir the onions and barley together. Add the beet and carrot leaves. Taste and season.
7. Pluck the garlic from the veg tray and squeeze out the flesh. Stir it into the reserved citrus marinade. Add the chicken breast mini fillets and stir to coat them.
8. Arrange the watercress onto a serving platter or a couple of plates. Pile on the onion barley, the roasted veg and finally the chicken. Pour over the citrus dressing. Finish with the avocado slices.