- Sea salt
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 250g beef stir-fry strips/steak cut into strips
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 2 spring onions
- A handful of mint
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. If you’re using wooden skewers, pop them in a bowl of water to soak so they don’t burn when you’re grilling the kebabs. Heat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Put a pan of salted water on to boil. Scrub the potatoes. Slice them into chips as thick as your fingers. Add to the boiling water. Simmer for 2 mins.
2. Drain the potatoes. Tip them back in the pan. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper. Shake to coat the spuds in the oil and seasoning. Spread out on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30 mins till golden and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely grate the zest from the lemon. Juice it. Mix the garlic, lemon zest and juice together in a bowl. Pour half out into a separate bowl for the salad dressing and set aside. Add 1 tsp of the dried oregano to the rest of the marinade. Season.
4. Add the beef to the lemon and oregano marinade. Turn to coat. Set to one side for 10 mins while you make the chopped salad.
5. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Halve the cucumber and set one half aside (see our tip for what to do with it). Halve the other half lengthways. Slice into batons, then chop them into dice. Trim the ends off the spring onions. Finely slice it. Pop the chopped veg in a bowl. Finely slice the mint leaves. Add to the salad.
6. Whisk the reserved garlic, lemon zest and juice with 1 tbsp olive oil and some seasoning to make a dressing. Add to the salad. Toss to coat.
7. Heat your grill to high (if you don’t have a separate grill from your oven, you can cook the skewers in a griddle or frying pan on the hob). Thread the beef strips onto the skewers. Grill for 8-10 mins, turning occasionally, till the beef is charred and cooked through. Serve the skewers with the chips and salad.