- 250g sweet potatoes
- 100g potatoes
- 100g cheddar
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 5 eggs
- 1 chilli
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 1 avocado
- 50g rocket
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Scrub the sweet and normal potatoes. Coarsely grate them. Place into a large bowl.
3. Coarsley grate the cheddar and add to the potatoes. Add 2 tsp caraway seeds and plenty of salt and pepper. Beat 1 egg. Pour into the potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix everything together really well.
4. Dollop 6 spoonfuls onto the baking tray. Lightly press down on the mounds with your hands to swuish them together. Slide the tray into the oven and cook for 30 mins. They should be crisp on the outside and cooked through in the middle.
5. Whilst the hash browns cook, halve the chilli. Flick out the seeds and finely chop it. Finely chop the mint leaves. Peel and grate the garlic. Zest and juice the lemon into a bowl. Add the chilli, mint and garlic. Whisk with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. This is your dressing.
6. Halve the avocado and scoop out the stone, then scoop the flesh out of the skin. Thinly slice it.
7. When the hash brown have 5 mins left to cook, fill a small pan with boiling water. Crack an egg in to a small dish. Carefully lower it into the pan of gently boiling water. Repeat with the other egg. Cook on a gentle bubble for 2 mins for a runny yolk or 3 mins for a slightly more well cooked yolk. Lift out of the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
8. Arrange the rocket on two plates. Top with the hash browns, a few slices of avocado and an egg each. Drizzle over the zingy mint dressing to serve.
9. Avocado Tip: Avocado a little firm? Pop in a brown paper bag with a banana for a couple of days and it should soften right up.