- 2 spring onions
- 1 courgette
- 1 green garlic bulb
- 200g flat beans
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- 50g rocket
- 1 lemon
- 400g gnocchi
- Sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 tbsp water
No food processor? No problem.
If you don't have a food processor, finely chop the basil leaves and rocket and pop them in a bowl. Grate in the lemon zest, squeeze in the juice then stir in the olive oil and seasoning. It will be chunkier but just as tasty.
1. Fill a pan with boiling water and sprinkle in a little salt. Pop on the hob and bring back to the boil.
2. Trim the roots and any ragged tops off the spring onions and roughly chop the spring onions into bite-sized pieces. Trim the courgette and chop it into small chunks. Trim the base and top 4cm off the green garlic stalk. Finely shred the green garlic bulb and its stalk. Trim the ends off the flat beans and slice the beans into 2-3cm pieces.
3. Pour 1 tsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm over a medium heat. Slide in the sliced spring onions, courgette and green garlic. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fry for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened.
4. While the veg cook, pick the basil leaves and pop them in a small food processor. Scatter in half the rocket. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice from 1 half. Drizzle in 1 tsp olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whizz till finely chopped. No food processor? See our tip.
5. Tip the gnocchi into the frying pan and stir to combine with the veg. Pour in 2-3 tbsp water. Warm through, stirring, for 5 mins.
6. Meanwhile, drop the trimmed flat beans into the pan of the boiling water. Simmer for 2-3 mins, till tender, then drain.
7. Toss the drained beans into the frying pan. Scrape in the basil and rocket dressing. Stir well to coat. Taste of the gnocchi and add more lemon juice, salt or pepper if you think it needs them.
8. Spoon the gnocchi into warm bowls and scatter over the remaining rocket leaves. Serve with an extra grind or 2 of pepper on top.