- 2 large potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 3 tbsp polenta
- 200g cavolo nero
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon
- 2 beef centre cut steaks
- 2 eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the potatoes and parsnips (no need to peel them), and slice both into thick chips. Scatter the chips into a large roasting tin. Dust with 3 tbsp polenta and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour over 1 tbsp olive oil and toss to coat. Slide the chips into the oven and roast for 40 mins, turning halfway.
2. Trim any dry ends off the cavolo nero and thinly slice the leaves. Pick the rosemary leaves and finely chop them. Slide the rosemary into a small bowl and pop to one side.
3. Peel the garlic and grate it into a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp Dijon mustard and a little salt and pepper. Juice in half the lemon and stir well.
4. When the chips have 10 mins left, pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a frying pan and warm till smoking hot. Rub the steaks with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add the steaks. Fry for 2-3 mins on each side for pink middles, or 1-2 mins longer if you prefer your steaks more well done. When the steaks are cooked, pop them onto a warm plate, loosely cover with foil and set them aside to rest.
5. While the steaks cook, pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a medium pan and warm it to a medium heat. Add the cavolo nero and 2-3 tbsp cold water. Fry for 4-5 mins, stirring, till the leaves are tender. Pour in the garlic and mustard mixture and stir through. Take off the heat and set aside.
6. While the steaks are resting, pop the empty frying pan back on a medium heat. Crack in the eggs and fry them for 3-4 mins, till the yolks and whites are set to your liking.
7. Sprinkle the rosemary over the chips and divide them between a couple of plates. Add the steaks and top each with a fried egg. Serve with the mustard greens on the side.