- ½ mug brown rice
- A pinch of sea salt
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 1 mug water or (chicken or veg) stock
- 1 medium sized squash or pumpkin
- 1 red pepper
- 3 smallish onions
- 1 orange or clementine
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 sausages (venison or pork)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp paprika (smoked if you have it)
- A large handful of fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 220C/Gas 7. Pop a large roasting tin in the oven to heat.
2. Heat a lidded pan. Toast the rice for a mo. Add a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil. Pour in water or stock. Add the saffron, if using.
3. Reduce heat, with lid on. Cook for 30 mins. Add more water during cooking, if needed. Once cooked, let it steam, lid on, for a further 10 mins.
4. Cut the pumpkin/squash into wedges, seeds removed. Carve peel off. Cut into smaller, 1-2cm thick wedges. Slice red pepper into 1cm-thick ribbons. Discard seeds and stem. Quarter peeled onion and orange/clem. Slice the pointy end off the garlic bulb.
5. Toss everything into a bowl. Gloss with oil. Season. Mix well. Tumble into the warmed roasting tin. Shake to evenly distribute. Roast for 20 mins.
6. Dot sausages over the veg after 20 mins. Return to oven. Cook for a further 20 mins, or till sausages and veg are cooked through.
7. Place rice back on the heat. Swirl in the tomato puree and paprika. Once the veg is done, squeeze out the garlic cloves (like toothpaste) into the rice. Squeeze a little juice from the roasted orange segments over. Mix through. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
8. Tumble rice onto a large serving platter. Dot veg and sausages over. Finish with fresh parsley.