- 2 courgettes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 400g passata
- 150g Homewood ewe's milk cheese
- 2 spring onions
- A handful of chervil
- 1 carrot
- 50g rocket
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the ends off the courgettes. Use a large knife, or a mandoline if you have one, to cut the courgettes into long, 1/2 cm-thick slices. Don't worry if they're not perfect as you'll overlap two slices for each spiral.
2. Set a large frying pan over high heat. Add the courgette slices in batches. Sprinkle with salt. Cook in a single layer, no oil needed, for 2 mins then flip over and cook for 2 more mins till nicely charred. Set aside.
3. Peel and finely chop or grate the garlic. Finely chop the chilli, flicking out the seeds and white bits for less heat. Set a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli, 1 tsp oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 mins till softened. Add the passata (aka tomato purée). Simmer 10 mins.
4. Thinly slice your salad onions, trimming off the roots and dry ends. Finely chop half the chervil, leaves and stalks. Tip the ewe's cheese into a bowl. Add the chopped salad onions and chervil. Fold everything together with a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Lay two charred courgette slices on a chopping board, slightly overlapping. Thinly spread a heaped teaspoon of the ewe's cheese along the length of the courgettes. Gently roll up from one end to the other, making a little spiral. Place in a small ovenproof dish.
6. Repeat till you've used up all the courgettes and filling. You should have at least 3-4 rolls per person. Pour the hot passata sauce around the courgette cannelloni. Pop in the oven. Bake for 12-15 mins or till the sauce has thickened a little.
7. While they cook, use a veg peeler to carve your carrot into thin ribbons. Whisk the balsamic with 2 tsp olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Toss the dressing, carrot ribbons and rocket together. Serve alongside the warm courgette spirals.