- 250g beef stir-fry strips
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 50g tamari
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 onion
- 1 bok choi
- 1 spring onion
- 1 garlic clove
- A thumb of ginger
- 125g pad Thai noodles
- 25g alfalfa sprouts
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cold water
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Place the beef stir-fry strips in a bowl or dish and shake in 1 tbsp cornflour. Turn to coat the beef in the flour.
2. Pour the tamari into a small bowl, then stir in 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp caster sugar. Stir for 1-2 mins till the sugar begins to dissolve. Spoon the marinade over the beef and turn to coat. Set aside while you prepare the veg.
3. Peel and finely slice the onion. Separate the bok choy leaves and slice the stalks. Halve any really large leaves. Trim the roots off the spring onion, and slice off any ragged tops. Finely slice the spring onion – white and green parts. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Peel and grate the ginger.
4. Put half the pack of noodles into a large heatproof dish or bowl and pour over the kettle of boiling water. The water needs to fully cover the noodles, so boil more water if you need to. Set aside for 5-6 mins to soak – the noodles will soften and become tender without becoming too sticky.
5. While the noodles soak, set a wok or deep frying pan on a high heat for 1 min, then add ½ tbsp oil and the beef stir-fry strips (keep any marinade left in the dish for later). Cook and stir for 3-4 mins till the beef stir-fry strips are browned all over. Lift them out of the pan and set aside on a plate.
6. Add the garlic, ginger, onion and bok choy stalks to the wok with another ½ tbsp oil and stir fry for 3 mins till the veg are just tender, but still have a bit of bite.
7. Drain the noodles if you haven’t done so already. Return the beef to the pan with any juices from the plate and pour in the marinade from the dish. Add 2 tbsp water. Stir fry for 1 min, then add the sliced spring onions, bok choy leaves and the noodles. Use 2 forks to pick everything up and toss. Warm for 1-2 mins.
8. Divide the noodles between two warm plates and top with a handful of the alfalfa sprouts to serve.