- 1 loaf of sourdough bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- A handful of thyme
- 1.7kg spatchcock chicken
- 2 x 200g heirloom tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- A handful of oregano, leaves only
- 45g parmesan cheese
- A handful of two of rocket leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Cut 3 large slices of sourdough, about 3cm thick, and arrange them onto a roasting tin. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves and scatter evenly on top of the bread. Grate over the lemon zest and scatter over the thyme springs. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Unwrap the spatchcock chicken and pop it on top of the bread, covering as much of the sourdough as possible. Pour over 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Rub the chicken till the oil and salt and pepper is evenly distributed.
2. Slide the spatchcock chicken into the hot oven and reduce the temperature to 180C/Fan 160/Gas 5. Roast the chicken for 1 hr 15 mins, till cooked through with a crispy skin. Pop the roasting tin to one side and rest the chicken for 15 mins.
3. While the chicken is resting, halve the cherry tomatoes and slide them into a bowl. Peel and thinly slice the red onion and add it to the tomatoes. Tear in the basil and oregano leaves, and grate in the parmesan cheese. Scatter in the rocket leaves. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and add 1 tbsp oil and a little salt and pepper. Stir till everything is combined.
4. Tear or chop the bread into pieces and divide between plates. Top with the herby tomatoes and chunks of roast chicken and serve.