- 1 aubergine
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of rosemary
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 200g spaghetti
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25-30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Trim the green top off the aubergine. Finely chop the aubergine into 1cm-thick cubes and pop in a roasting tin. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle over some olive oil and toss to mix. Roast for 25-30 mins till soft and a little charred at the edges. Turn the aubergine after 15 mins to help it cook evenly.
2. While the aubergine roasts, peel and finely chop the onion and carrot. Trim and finely slice the celery. Halve the pepper, scoop out the seeds and white pith, then finely chop it.
3. Warm a pan over a medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil, the onion, carrot, celery and pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry over a medium heat for 5-8 mins till glossy, stirring often. While the veg cook, peel and greate or crush the garlic. Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems and finely chop them.
4. Add the garlic and rosemary to the pan. Fry and stir for 1 min. Stir in the tomatoes. Half fill the tin with water and pour into the pan. Stir well, then bring to the boil. Half cover the pan with a lid. Simmer on for 15-20 mins till thickened. Stir every so often.
5. While the sauce cooks, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti, cover and simmer for about 8-10 mins till the spaghetti is cooked but not too soft. It should still have a little bite to it.
6. Stir the roast aubergine into the tomato sauce. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if it needs it.
7. Drain the spaghetti. Divide between two warm plates or bowls and top with the roast aubergine bolognese sauce. Serve straight away.