- 1 lovely loaf (we used Malted 5 Seed Sourdough from Long Crichel)
- A gloss of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers
- 150g basil pesto
- 2 balls of mozzarella, sliced
- 50g Parma ham
- A few large handfuls of fresh rocket, rinsed
*Tear the scooped out bits into croutons. Mix with olive oil, garlic and salt. Roast till golden and crisp.
1. Heat your grill to high, or your oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
2. Halve your loaf. Scoop out the centre to make a hollow for the fillings*.
3. Season your aubergine slices. Gloss with oil. Pop on a grill rack or baking tray with the whole peppers. Grill or roast on the top shelf of the oven, turning once, till tender and nicely coloured.
4. The peppers’ll take a bit longer, so remove once they’re tender and charred on the outside. Cool. Tear off skin. Remove seeds. Tear into ribbons.
5. Generously brush the inside of your loaf (top and bottom) with pesto. Pile in a layer of aubergines, then peppers, Parma ham, mozzarella, rocket. Repeat till you’re out of ingredients or your loaf is full.
6. Wrap tightly in cling film, baking paper or foil. Chill in the fridge till you set off for your picnic. Cut into wedges to serve.
7. *Tear the scooped out bits into croutons. Mix with olive oil, garlic and salt. Roast till golden and crisp. Perfect for the soup on page 8.