- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 400g mushrooms (any variety), finely chopped like mince
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
- A glass of red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- A few sprigs of rosemary (or thyme)
- 400g dried spaghetti
- A good handful of fresh rocket or watercress to serve
- 50g grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Place a large pan or pot over a medium heat. Add a glug of oil. When it's hot, add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Sizzle till soft, 10-15 mins. Add the mushrooms. Season well. Cook till they start to pick up colour and lose some of their moisture.
2. Tip in the tomatoes, a splash of balsamic and the wine. Let it bubble up till it reduces down a bit and the sauce starts to thicken up. Cook your pasta in the meantime.
3. Once the pasta is done and the sauce is thick, give it a little taste. Adjust seasoning as needed. Fold in the herbs. Tumble the pasta through the sauce. Plate up and finish each with a mound of greenery (rocket, watercress or just a nice handful of chopped parsley), a little drizzle of olive oil and some Parmesan.