- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 3 tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 ltr water or stock (vegetable or chicken)
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Finely dice the carrot, celery and onion. Set a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil or butter. Swirl in diced veg and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Lower heat. Gently cook for 10 mins.
2. While it cooks, finely dice the tomatoes. Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Add to the pan once the veg have cooked for 10 mins. Cook a further 10 mins or till the tomatoes have fully broken down and you have a thickish paste.
3. Stir in the chicken and spices. Cook 2 mins. Add the zest and juice of the oranges and lime. Cook a minute to thicken a little. Pour in the water or stock. Bring to the boil. Lower heat a little. Cook 15 mins.
4. Stir in the chicken and spices. Cook for 2 mins. Add the zest and juice of the oranges and limes. Cook for 1 min to thicken a little. Pour in the water or stock. Bring to the boil. Lower the heat a little and simmer for 15 mins.
5. Take off the heat. Let it sit for 5 mins. Remove the chicken form the soup and shred into smaller pieces using two forks. Return to the soup. Finley chop the parsley and stir it into the soup. Taste and add a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Ladle it into warm bowls and serve.