- 750ml boiling water
- 150g polenta
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 chillies
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 45g butter
1. Pour 750ml boiling water into a high-sided pan. Bring to the boil. Trickle in the polenta, whisking as you go. Once it’s all in, turn the heat down low and cover. Cook for 40 mins, stirring now and then with a wooden spoon, till the polenta is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan as you stir it.
2. Peel and slice the onion into wedges. Halve the peppers. Scoop out the seeds and white bits. Slice into finger-length pieces. Peel and crush the garlic. Finely chop 1 chilli. Put them all in a bowl. Add 2 tsp oil and 1 tsp paprika. Season and turn to coat in the oil and spices. Set aside.
3. Make your avocado crema: halve the avocado and discard the stone. Scoop out the flesh and place it in a bowl. Halve the remaining chilli and flick out the seeds. Finely chop it and add to the avocado with a squeeze of lime juice.
4. Mash the avocado till smooth. Taste and add more lime juice or a pinch of salt and pepper. If you have a small food processor, you can blitz it all together to make a super smooth crema. Set aside.
5. Warm a griddle or frying pan till it’s hot. Add the veg. Fry for 10 mins, turning the veg now and then, till they are charred and soft. Take off the heat.
6. Chop the butter into the polenta and stir well to melt it. Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Spoon the polenta into two warm bowls. Top with the griddled veg and spoonfuls of the avocado crema. Sprinkle with ½ tsp paprika to serve.