- 1 courgette
- A bunch of salad onions
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 30g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 25g sesame seeds
- 1 carrot
- ½ cucumber
- A bunch of radishes
- 227g mixed bean sprouts
- 1 lemon
- 50g tamari
- 50g sweet Thai chilli sauce
- Sea salt
- 2½ tbsp coconut or olive oil
Prep:30 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Trim and coarsely grate the courgette. Place it in a sieve set over a bowl with a pinch of salt and squeeze out as much water as possible. Leave in the sieve to drain. Trim and thinly slice the salad onions, setting a large pinch aside. Place in a large bowl. Peel and grate the ginger and garlic into the bowl. Give the courgette another squeeze, then add that to the bowl too.
2. Tip in the flour into the bowl with a large pinch of salt. Crack in the eggs. Mix everything together with a fork till you have a sticky batter. Cover and set aside to rest for a few mins.
3. Warm a frying pan over a medium heat for 2 mins. Scatter in the sesame seeds and toast for 2-3 mins, then tip ? out into a large bowl and the rest into a small bowl. Heat your oven to its lowest setting.
4. Trim and peel the carrot, then use the peeler to peel ribbons off the carrot. Add them to the big bowl of sesame seeds. Halve the cucumber and peel ribbons off 1 half. Add them to the bowl, along with the reserved sliced salad onions.
5. Thinly slice the radishes and a few of their leaves. Add to the bowl as well, along with the bean sprouts. Set aside.
6. Zest and juice the lemon into a small bowl. Whisk with 1 tbsp of the tamari and ½ tbsp oil. Add this dressing to the salad in the big bowl and toss to mix. Set aside.
7. Mix the sweet chilli sauce and the remaining tamari in the small bowl of sesame seeds. This is your sesame dipping sauce. Set aside.
8. Warm the frying pan over a high heat for 2 mins. Add 1 tbsp oil and swirl the pan to coat the base with oil. Add 4 tbsp of the batter mixture to the hot pan to make 4 small fritters. Cook for 3 mins on each side till golden brown and firm. Lift the fritters out of the pan and pop on a plate. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining fritters, adding another 1 tbsp oil. You should be able to make 8-12 fritters.
9. Serve the crispy fritters with the sesame dipping sauce and the crunchy ribbon salad on the side.