- 2 onions
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 400g tomatoes
- 800g tinned borlotti beans
- 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 400g rainbow chard
- 400g spinach
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ltr boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Peel and chop the onions and carrot. Peel and grate the garlic cloves. Halve the chilli, flicking out the seeds and membrane for less heat, and finely chop. Roughly chop the tomatoes.
2. Pour 2 tbsp of oil into a large pan and bring to a medium-low heat. Slide in the garlic, onions, carrot, chilli and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 5-6 mins, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and continue to cook for a further 2 mins. Drain the beans and rinse well, and add to the pan. Crumble in the stock cube and add 1 ltr of boiling water. Stir well to combine, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 mins.
4. Trim the ends off the chard. Shred the stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Shred the spinach.
5. Slide the chard and spinach into the pan and stir well. Continue to simmer for 3-4 mins, until wilted.
6. Pick the basil leaves and roughly chop. Grate the lemon zest. Stir half the basil and half the lemon juice into the pan. Have a taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
7. Spoon the stew into deep bowls and scatter over the lemon zest and remaining basil. Serve with wedges of the remaining lemon.