- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 200g French beans
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 75g white basmati rice
- 150ml boiling water
- A handful of coriander
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp tamari
1. Peel the onions and thinly slice them. Peel the garlic cloves and finely chop them.
2. Pour 2 tsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm to a medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add the diced chicken leg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir fry for 5 mins, till browned on all sides.
3. Slide the onions into the pan and continue to fry, stirring often, for a further 5 mins.
4. While the chicken and onion cook, chop the tomatoes into small chunks. Trim the woody ends from the French beans and chop them into bite-sized pieces.
5. Stir the chopped garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper into the pan (cayenne is HOT, so use as much or little as you prefer. You can add more later in the recipe if needed). Cook for 1 min.
6. Stir in the tomatoes, French beans and the rice. Pour in 150ml boiling water and stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 mins, stirring occasionally, till the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and keep covered for 5 mins.
7. Finely chop the coriander. When the chicken and rice is cooked, use a fork to fluff it up. Grate in the lime zest and squeeze in the juice. Add the chopped coriander and 1 tbsp tamari. Stir and have a taste. Add more tamari, cayenne or salt if needed. Divide the chicken and rice between plates and serve.