- 2 tomatoes
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 cucumber
- 50g rocket
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 100g soft sheep's cheese
- 40g honey
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut each tomato into 6 thin slices. Place in a single layer on the baking tray. Drizzle with ½ tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 35 mins.
2. While the tomatoes are roasting, tip the bulgar wheat into a bowl. Sprinkle in 1 tsp of the mixed spice with a pinch of salt. Pour over enough boiling water to cover it by 1cm. Cover with cling film or a plate and leave to soak while you prepare the rest of the dish.
3. Peel and very finely chop the onion into small dice. Place in a large bowl. Zest and juice the lemon and tip into the bowl with the onion. Add a pinch of salt. Stir to mix.
4. Peel and cut the cucumber in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and discard. Finely chop the cucumber and place it on top of the onions, but don’t stir it in. Finely chop the rocket and place on top of the cucumber. Shred the mint leaves and add those.
5. Break or chop the sheep's cheese into a small bowl. Drizzle over the honey and scatter over the thyme leaves. Crack over plenty of black pepper.
6. Drain the bulgar wheat, if necessary. Fold the spiced bulgar wheat through the onion, cucumber and rocket, mixing everything together. Drizzle in ½ tbsp olive oil. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Pile the tabbouleh onto 2 plates. Top with the roast tomatoes and dollops of cheese. Drizzle over any juices from the dishes and serve.