- 1 onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- ¼ green cabbage
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 lime
- 40g honey
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sunflower, coconut or olive oil
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- Sea salt
- 150g white basmati rice
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Peel and finely slice the onion. Halve the yellow pepper, scoop out the white pith and seeds, then finely slice it. Slice a quarter out of the cabbage, then finely shred the quarter. Set the veg to one side.
2. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Set aside. Finely grate the lime zest into a bowl and squeeze in the juice. Add the honey and 2 tbsp tamari (keep the rest for later). Stir together.
3. Put a wok or deep frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken breast mini fillets. Fry for 5-6 mins, turning once or twice, till browned all over.
4. While the chicken fries, tip the rice into a sieve and rinse it under cold water. Tip it into a small pan and add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Put the pan on a high heat, cover and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat right down and gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water and become tender. Take the pan off the heat and set aside, lid on, for 5 mins to steam the rice and finish cooking it.
5. When the chicken is browned, lift it out of the pan onto a plate. Add ½ tbsp oil to the pan and add the garlic and ginger. Sizzle for 15 secs, stirring, then tip in the onion and pepper. Stir fry for 4 mins, then add the green cabbage. Stir fry for 2 mins.
6. Return the chicken to the pan and tip in the lime and honey mix. Pour in 150ml boiling water, stir, then simmer the chicken and veg for 6-7 mins.
7. Fluff the rice and divide it between 2 warm plates or bowls. Taste the chicken sauce and add a dash more tamari or a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Spoon the chicken, veg and sauce over the rice and serve straight away.