- 250g lamb mince
- 50g dried apricots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 3 eggs
- 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp harissa
- 75g wholewheat couscous
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 orange
- 40g honey
- A handful of coriander
- 1 chilli
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 400ml cold water
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Halve
the squash and scoop out the seeds. Cut into
1-2cm chunks. Leave the skin on, it will soften
during cooking and is packed with nutrients.
Tumble the squash on to a lined baking tray.
Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and season well. Toss
togther. Slide into the oven for 30 mins till soft.
Set aside to cool a little.
2. Peel and grate 1 garlic clove into a large bowl. Finely chop the coriander stalks and add to the bowl. Set the leaves aside. Finely chop the apricots and add those. Add an egg, 1 tsp harissa (or less if you prefer a milder flavour) and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together. Add the lamb mince and mix together with your hands.
3. Roll the spiced lamb mince into Brussels sproutsized balls, making roughly 8-12. Place on a plate and cover with cling film. Pop into the fridge.
4. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate the other garlic clove. Halve the chilli and flick out the seeds. Finely chop it. Set a frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil. Place the meatballs into the pan and cook for 5 mins, rolling occasionally so they brown on most sides. Lift out of the pan with a slotted spoon on to a clean plate.
5. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 4-5 mins till soft. Add the garlic, chilli and 1 tsp harissa (or less). Stir together for 1 min. Add the cherry tomatoes. Fill the tin with cold water (about 400ml) and add that too. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
6. Slide the browned meatballs back into the sauce. Turn to coat in the sauce. Cover again and simmer gently for 15 mins till the sauce has thickened and the meatballs have cooked through.
7. Pour the couscous into a heatproof bowl. Add 1 tsp cumin and some seasoning. Finely grate in the orange zest. Roughly chop the spinach and add that too. Pour over 150ml boiling water. Cover with cling film or a plate. Leave to soak.
8. Squeeze the juice from the orange. Pour half into the meatball pan. Add 1 tbsp honey. Add more orange juice, honey and seasoning to taste. Make 2 wells in the sauce. Crack an egg into each well. Cover and cook for 2-4 mins till the whites are set and the yolks are as cooked as you like.
9. Stir the roasted squash through the spiced couscous. Spoon into shallow bowls. Top with a generous helping of the meatballs, sauce and an egg each. Scatter over the coriander leaves.