- 35g sun dried tomatoes
- 300g gnocchetti or penne pasta
- 1 onion
- 3 mixed peppers
- 1 courgette
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Italian herb blend
- 690g passata
- 100g Cheddar
- 100g mozzarella
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle, then fill a large pan with the hot water, topping it up if needed. Add a large pinch of salt. Set the pan on a high heat and bring it back to the boil.
2. Cook the pasta:
Snip the sun-dried tomatoes into strips with kitchen scissors, or use a knife to chop them. When the water is boiling, add the pasta and simmer for 6 mins. Add the sun dried tomatoes and cook for 2 more mins. Drain and set aside.
3. Chop the veg:
Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the peppers, scoop out the seeds and white pith, then roughly chop them. Trim the ends off the courgette, halve it lengthways and slice it into half-moons. Peel and grate or crush the garlic.
4. Make the sauce:
When you’ve drained the pasta, put the empty pan back on a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onion, courgette and peppers. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry, stirring often, for 10 mins till the veg are glossy are starting to soften.
5. Stir the garlic into the pan with 1 tbsp Italian herb blend. Cook and stir for 2 mins, then pour in the passata. Pop on a lid and simmer for 5 mins to mingle the flavours.
6. Make the bake:
Meanwhile, coarsely grate the cheddar. Drain the mozzarella and tear it into small pieces. When the sauce has simmered for 5 mins, taste it and add a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Tip the pasta and sun dried tomatoes into a large ovenproof dish. Pour over the tomato sauce and gently stir to mix. Sprinkle over the cheddar and mozzarella. Slide the dish into the oven and bake for 20-25 mins till golden and bubbling. Let the bake cool for a few mins, then serve in warm bowls.