- 2 duck legs
- A few drops of olive oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce, plus extra to serve
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (deseed to trim the heat)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 oranges
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut lengthways
- 1 ripe avocado
- A large handful of alfalfa sprouts
- 1 lime, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Mix 1 tbsp hoisin with the olive oil, chilli, garlic and ginger. Halve one of the oranges. Squeeze in a little juice. Coat the duck legs in the mix and marinade overnight if you can.
3. Place the duck legs and orange halves (cut side up) in a roasting dish. Season the duck and cook for 45 mins then baste after 30 mins.
4. Make sure they’re cooked properly, if they’re pink, cook a little longer.
5. Remove from the oven. Let them rest for 20 mins before serving.
6. For the salad, use a veg peeler to cut strands from the fennel and carrot. Toss with a pinch of salt, a drop of olive oil and juice from the lime.
7. Peel the remaining orange, slice into rounds or segments. Toss in the salad with the avocado (peeled, stoned and sliced) and the alfalfa sprouts.
8. Serve duck legs on a cutting board with a little pot of hoisin sauce and the salad.