- 400g tin of chickpeas
- A thumb of turmeric
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 50g watercress
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 20-25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Drain the chickpeas, rinse them and then tip them into a roasting tin. Peel and grate the turmeric into the tin. Sprinkle over 1 tsp curry powder. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to mix the chickpeas in the spices. Slide into the oven and roast for 20-25 mins till the chickpeas are crisp.
2. While the chickpeas roast, peel and finely chop the red onion. Pop the onion in a large bowl.
3. Halve the cucumber, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and then dice the cucumber to match the red onion. Add to the bowl.
4. Halve the red pepper. Scoop out the seeds and white pith. Dice the pepper to match the other veg. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Pick any thick stalks out of the watercress and add it to the bowl along with the halved tomatoes and diced pepper.
5. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together to make a dressing. Add to the veg and gently toss to coat it in the lemony salad dressing.
6. Heap the zingy chopped salad up on 2 plates. Spoon the crisp curried chickpeas over the top and serve straight away.
7. Goes Well With: The roasted chickpeas in this salad also make an addictive savoury snack. If you have a spare tin in your cupboard, it’s well worth making an extra batch. Store in a dry jar for up to a week.