- 500g potatoes
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 100g cheddar
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- 115ml double cream
- 1 tomato
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 250ml boiling water
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Slice the potatoes into ½ cm rounds. Place in a large pan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 8-12 mins, till the potatoes are tender. Drain and set to one side.
2. Meanwhile, set a frying pan (ovenproof if possible) on a medium heat. When warm, add ½ tbsp oil and the chicken breast mini fillets. Fry for 4 mins on each side till golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan and pop on a plate.
3. While the chicken cooks, peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and grate the garlic. Zest the lemon. Pull the leaves from the thyme sprigs. When the chicken comes out of the frying pan, add in the onions with 2 tbsp water and a pinch of salt. Gently cook for 8 mins till soft. Add the garlic, thyme leaves and ½ tsp paprika. Cook for 1 min.
4. Pour 250ml boiling water into the pan. Crumble in the stock cube. Stir. Add the lemon zest and the cooked chicken. Pop on a lid and simmer for 5 mins. While simmering, finely grate the cheddar. Heat your grill to a high setting.
5. Pour half the pot of double cream into the pan. Add half the grated cheddar and plenty of seasoning. Add half the baby leaf spinach and stir in well to just wilt it.
6. If your pan is ovenproof, add the potatoes to the pan and fold everything together to coat the potatoes in the sauce and evenly distribute them and the chicken. If not, transfer everything to an ovenproof dish, then add the potatoes.
7. Scatter over the remaining cheddar and crack over plenty of black pepper. Place the pan or dish on a high shelf under the grill. Grill for 8-10 mins till the top is golden and bubbling.
8. While the tartiflette is cooking under the grill, make your salad. Juice the lemon into a medium bowl. Add 1 tbsp mustard and whisk with 2 tsp olive oil. Add some seasoning. Thinly slice the tomato and add to the bowl. Add the remaining baby leaf spinach and toss together.
9. Remove the tartiflette from the oven. Serve large spoonfuls of the creamy, cheesy tartiflette with the zingy salad.