- 2 beef sirloin steaks, cut into thin strips across the grain
- 4 mugs broccoli, trimmed into 5cm (2in) pieces
- 2 leeks, cut in 1cm slices
- A few glugs olive or sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- A splash of white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- A thumb of freshly grated ginger
- A little bit of fresh red chilli (optional)
- 1/2 mug toasted sesame seeds or almonds
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together. Pour into a glass dish. Add the beef. Put aside for half an hour. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Heat a few glugs of oil in a very hot wok. Remove meat from marinate (reserving marinade for later).
2. Stir-fry beef and leeks for about 1 minute. Add the marinade to the wok and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes. Add the broccoli. Cook for a further minute or so until the broccoli is heated through. Serve on warm plates garnished with seeds or almonds, and a bowl of noodles or rice (and a cold beer!).