- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ mini watermelon or chunk of full-sized watermelon, weighing around 300g, chilled
- 125g cherry tomatoes
- ½ cucumber, chilled
- A handful of Kalamata olives
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed
- 120g feta
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Prep: 20 mins + marinating | Cook: nil
1. Peel and finely slice half a red onion. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar and olive oil with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the onion to the bowl and toss to mix. Set aside for 10 mins to marinate. This will help take the raw edge off the onion.
2. While the red onion soaks, slice the skin off half a mini watermelon – or a chunk of full-sized watermelon – and flick out any large seeds. Chop the watermelon into bite-sized chunks and place them on top of the onion, but don't mix them together just yet.
3. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and roughly chop the cucumber. Add them to the bowl, too. Tip in the olives and capers. When the onion has soaked for 10 mins, toss everything to mix and coat in the dressing.
4. Pile the salad up on small serving plates or a large platter. Crumble over the feta, sprinkle over the dried oregano and serve.
5. Heart of Stone
Remember the olives still have their stones in, so keep a bowl handy for people to put the stones in while they're eating the salad.