- 125g pea & fava protein mince
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 4 garlic cloves
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml red wine (optional)
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400ml hot vegetable stock
- 500g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- A large pinch of sugar
Prep: 20 mins + soaking | Cook: 55 mins
1. Tip the pea & fava protein mince into a large bowl, add a generous pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Leave to soak for at least 10 mins.
2. Peel and finely chop the onions and carrots. Trim the celery and finely chop it. Peel and grate or crush the garlic cloves. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pan and fry for 8-10 mins till softened and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and fry, stirring, for a further 2 mins.
3. While the veg are frying, drain the pea & fava protein mince.
4. When the garlic has cooked for 2 mins, add the drained protein mince to the pan. Fry for 5 mins, stirring regularly, till the mince is lightly golden and crisping up.
5. Add the thyme and bay leaves to the pan. Add the tomato purée and wine, if using, to the pan and stir for 1 min. Pour in the chopped tomatoes, along with the vegetable stock (add a splash more stock if you're not using the red wine). Bring everything up to a bubble, then lower the heat and pop on a lid. Simmer for 40 mins, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken but if it’s looking too dry at any point, add a splash more water or vegetable stock.
6. When the bolognese has 15 mins left to cook, bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add a good pinch of salt and drop in the spaghetti. Cook the pasta according to packet instructions till it's al dente (soft with a slight bite). Drain.
7. Add 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and a good pinch of sugar to the bolognese sauce. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you think it needs it. Fish out the bay leaf and discard it.
8. Spoon a tangle of spaghetti onto each plate and top with a generous serving of the vegan bolognese. Serve straight away.