- 150g brown basmati rice
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 red pepper
- A head of broccoli
- 190g marinated tofu
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 chilli
- 1 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 200ml coconut milk
- 50g Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 300ml + 200ml boiling water
- Sea salt
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl and cover with cold water. Whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain and rinse it. Tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to the boil.
2. When the rice is boiling, turn the heat right down. Gently simmer for 25 mins till the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take off the heat and set aside for 5 mins, with the lid on, to finish cooking the rice. It will keep warm in the pan while the curry is cooking.
3. While the rice simmers, peel and finely slice the onion. Peel the carrot and slice it into fingerlength batons. Halve the pepper, scoop out the seeds and pith. Slice into thin lengths. Break the broccoli into small florets. Drain the tofu and cut it into chunks.
4. Peel and grate the garlic and ginger. Finely slice the chilli – flick out the seeds for less heat. Finely chop it.
5. Put a wok or deep frying pan over a high heat. Add ½ tbsp oil, the onion, carrot, pepper and broccoli. Stir fry for 5 mins till the veg are just starting to soften. Add the tofu. Stir in the garlic, ginger, chilli and the
Thai green curry paste.
6. Pour in the coconut milk and 200ml boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Taste the curry and add a pinch more salt if you think it needs it.
7. Divide the rice between 2 warm bowls. Top with the Thai green vegetable curry. Drizzle over the sweet chilli sauce and serve straight away.
8. TIP: Whisking the rice in cold water for a few minutes helps to remove some of the starch from the rice, so you'll get fluffier, less sticky rice when it's cooked. You can just give the rice a rinse if you want to be extra quick when you're cooking.