- 6 medium-large tomatoes or a large punnet of cherry toms
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion, quartered (skin off)
- 3 garlic cloves, left in their papery skin
- A pinch of chilli powder, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A drizzle of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 eggs
- 100g feta cheese
- A handful of fresh basil or coriander leaves
1. Preheat oven 200°C/Gas 4.
2. Place a frying pan over high heat. Add the tomatoes, red pepper, onion and garlic. Dry-roast for 10–15 mins, turning the veg a few times, till a little blackened all over.
3. Press the garlic with the side of a knife to flatten. Pull off skin. Put the garlic flesh, tomatoes and onion in a blender or food-processor. Whizz till puréed.
4. On a chopping board, roughly chop the red pepper, leaving the skin on but removing the seeds.
5. Pour the puréed tomato mix back into the frying pan you used before. Add the chopped red pepper. Add a pinch of chilli powder, to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cook over medium heat till thickened and the red pepper is soft. Add a little olive oil, if needed. Squeeze in a touch of lemon juice to brighten the flavours. Adjust seasoning to taste.
7. Create a little well for each egg, and crack them in. Add 1-2 for each person. The dish will take a max of 4 eggs.
8. Place pan in preheated oven. Cook for 5 mins or till white is set but yolk is still runny.
9. Add a pinch of pepper over the eggs. Scatter crumbled feta and basil leaves over the top. Serve with griddled or toasted bread.