- 2 lemons, plus extra to serve
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp garam masala
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 150g Greek style yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Steamed rice or naan breads, to serve
- Fresh coriander, sliced red onion and chilli, to garnish
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 40-45 mins + marinating
1. Zest and juice the lemons into a large food-safe box with a lid. Peel and grate in the ginger and garlic. Add the spices, the Greek style yogurt and 2 tbsp oil. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper and mix well to make a marinade.
2. Remove the chicken drumsticks from their packaging and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Make a few cuts in the skin of each drumstick with a small, sharp knife. Add them to the marinade and turn them a few times to coat. Pop the lid on the box and marinate in the fridge for 12-24 hrs. No tub to marinate the drumsticks in? Use a bowl and cover with a plate.
3. When you're ready to cook the drumsticks, heat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Line a baking tray or roasting tin with foil and place a wire rack on top of that. Lay the chicken drumsticks on the rack, shaking off any excess marinade. Slide into the oven and bake for 40-45 mins, turning the drumsticks over halfway through, till they're cooked through and well browned.
4. Serve the drumsticks garnished with fresh coriander, thinly sliced red onion and fresh chilli. A side of steamed rice or naan breads, a spinach salad, lemon wedges for squeezing, and mango chutney for dunking complete the meal.
5. Pack up a Picnic
These drumsticks are perfect packed up in a picnic and served cold. Cook as instructed, then allow to cool before chilling in the fridge for up to 3 days, well wrapped.
6. Make a Mango Chutney
These drumsticks are delicious dunked in a sweet and spicy Mango Chutney. Follow our recipe for a preserve with plenty of wow factor.