- 150g brown basmati rice
- 2 aubergines
- 1 garlic clove
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 chilli
- 1 lemon
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 3 nectarines
- 150g yogurt
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover with cold water and whisk for 1-2 mins (you can use a fork) till the water goes cloudy. Drain, rinse and tip into a small pan.
2. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down to low. Gently simmer for 25 mins till the water is absorbed. Take off the heat. Set aside, with the lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice.
3. While the rice cooks, halve the aubergines lengthways. Put on a baking tray or into a roasting tin, skin-side down. Score a criss-cross pattern into the flesh. Drizzle with ½ tbsp oil each. Bake for 20 mins till they’ve started to soften.
4. While the aubergines cook, peel and grate the garlic and ginger. Halve the chilli. Flick out the seeds. Chop the chilli. Finely grate or pare the zest from the lemon and juice it. Finely chop the parsley leaves. Mix the lemon zest, juice, garlic, ginger, chilli and a quarter of the chopped parsley leaves together in a bowl.
5. Halve the nectarines. Pop out the stones. Chop the nectarines and stir into the lemon and parsley with 1 tbsp sugar. Taste and season with a little salt.
6. Mix half the pot of yogurt with 2 tsp mild curry powder and a pinch of salt. Spoon over the aubergines. Bake for another 10 mins till golden.
7. Stir half the remaining parsley leaves into the cooked rice. Serve with the baked aubergines, the nectarine relish, the rest of the yogurt and the remaining parsley leaves sprinkled over the top.