- 35g sundried tomatoes
- 600ml boiling water
- 2 red onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200g cavolo nero
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 150g white basmati rice
- 200g feta
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Pop the sun dried tomatoes into a heatproof bowl and cover with 300ml boiling water. Set aside for 15 mins to soften.
2. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel the red onions and slice them into 6 wedges each. Slice the tomatoes into wedges of a similar size. Scatter both into a roasting tin. Pour over 1 tbsp oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Lightly toss everything together till coated. Slide into the oven to roast for 20 mins.
3. Trim any dry stalks off the cavolo nero and discard them. Tuck the cavolo nero leaves into a food processor. Peel and grate in the garlic and grate in the lemon zest. Add 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz till very finely chopped. No food processor? Chop everything as finely as possible, then pop into a bowl and then stir in the salt, pepper and oil.
4. Pop a pan onto a medium heat and tip in the rice. Scoop in the chopped cavolo nero mixture and stir well. Cook for 2 mins, stirring frequently. Pour in 300ml boiling water. Return to the boil, then cover the pan and reduce to a simmer. Cook gently for 8 mins, then remove from the heat and allow to steam, covered, for a further 5-6 mins.
5. The sun dried tomatoes should have softened by now. Drain the water, finely chop the tomatoes and slide them into a bowl. Mix with 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of pepper. Line a small baking tray with baking paper. Lay the block of feta on the tray and pour over the sun dried tomatoes. Turn once or twice till coated.
6. Slide the tomatoey feta onto the shelf below the veg and roast for 6-8 mins, till slightly golden around the edges.
7. Squeeze the juice from half the lemon into the cooked rice and stir well. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Spoon the rice onto plates and top with the roasted tomatoes and onions. Crumble over chunks of the roasted feta. Serve with wedges of the remaining lemon.